Mr. Sawyer currently resides in Northeast Grand Rapids with his wife Allie; he has five (5) children, Colton, Travis, Kyle, Sean, and Kristen.
Colton (8) is engaged full time in Spanish immersion elementary school, youth sports (football, soccer, etc.) and learning guitar.
Travis (21) is a junior at University of Michigan, majoring in Economics and Spanish. He is the VP and a-side player on University of Michigan’s Rugby Team. He has completed overseas studies in Spain and recently had an internship in the Office of Michigan Governor, Rick Snyder. Travis will be pursuing an MBA degree.
Kyle (forever 21) passed away on November 1, 2011. He had been residing in Santa Barbara, California. He was going to school and pursuing radio/film and photography.
Sean (27) graduated in April 2011 from University of Michigan, with honors in Spanish, and a dual major in Cellular Molecular Biology. He is a third year medical student at New York Medical College in Westchester, New York. He has also received a US Air Force Medical Scholarship and has been commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Air Force.
Kristen (married to Al Thuma) is residing in Phoenix, Arizona with three (3) talented, young sons; JP, Nick, and Sam.
Mr. Sawyer’s past sports, hobbies, and interests, in no particular order, include:
- Backpacking / Fly-fishing
- Boating / Waterskiing
- Sailing – Past Queen’s Cup Racing
- Stock Car Racing – Vermont Enduro 200 (1987 – 2000)
- Coaching Youth Football (8 years) and Past President of Forest Hills Youth Football League – (Mr. Sawyer started the flag football program and dramatically increased participation to over 1,100 youth).
- Scuba Diving – licensed in 1965 and relicensed in 2010
- Private Pilot’s License – Single engine land (1970)
- MHSAA Wrestling Referee (1970s)
- Coached Youth Wresting (1970s)
- Competition Wresting (High school, and NCAA DI for University of Colorado)
- Snow Skiing / Racing
- Breeding and Racing Quarter Horses (As Owner)
- Farming/Gardening – Apple Orchards
- Rockford and East Grand Rapids High School(s)
- University of Colorado-Boulder
- B.A. (1973)
- Chapman College – Orange, California
- Semester at Sea – Foreign Studies (1974)
- Japan, China, Indonesia, India, and Africa
- Intern – U.S. House of Representatives (1974)
- Vermont Law School
- Juris Doctorate (1978)
Licensed to Practice Law
- State of Michigan (1978)
- State of Colorado (1992)
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan (1978)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan (1989)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (1981)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit (1992)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado (1992)
- U.S. Supreme Court (1982)
Professional Organizations and Distinctions
- Mediator for Circuit Courts in Kent, Barry, and Allegan Counties (Michigan) 1987 to present.
- Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation (life)
- Member of Michigan Association for Justice (Michigan Trial Lawyers Association)
- Member of American Association for Justice (American Trial Lawyers Association or ATLA since 1978)
- Member of Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of Negligence, Criminal and Master Lawyer Sections of Michigan State Bar
- Member of National College of DUI Defense (Attorneys), Inc.
- Faculty Member of Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) through State Bar of Michigan, University of Michigan Law School (and others), teaching OWI/DUI cross-examination technique(s), breath and blood test cross-examination and arrest/standard field sobriety test cross examination.
- Michigan Real Estate Broker’s License – 1986 to present.
Former Law Partnerships and Legal Experience
- Murphy Burns & McInerney, P.C. – Grand Rapids, Michigan (1978-1983)
- Timmons & Sawyer, P.C. – Grand Rapids, Michigan (1983-1985)
- Sawyer & Thieme, P.C. – Grand Rapids, Michigan (1985-1986)
- Sawyer Law Offices.com, P.C. – Grand Rapids, Michigan (1986 – present)